Picnics at the Preserve are a unique experience. All picnic locations have views of the historic mansions, the Long Island Sound, and the natural beauty of the Preserve’s grounds. Unreserved picnic tables are available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis – but you can plan a special picnic event by reserving an area in advance – here’s how:
- Please read the rules and guidelines below.
- Call 516.571.7901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a date and receive a contract.
- Phil Dejana Learning Center: two tables seat 12 -16 people in the shade of a great copper beach tree, with views of Castle Gould, the Great Lawn, and the Long Island Sound at a distance. The Phil Dejana Learning Center Outdoor Classroom and Woodland Playground are nearby.
- The Great Lawn – Boulders: four tables seat 18 – 24 people under a canopy of shade trees in the center of the Great Lawn.
- The Great Lawn – Hempstead House: three tables seat 18 – 24 people under a shade tree beside the parking lot at Hempstead House.
- The Bluffs: two tables seat 12 – 16 people located in a shady area on the right side of the drive around the Great Lawn, past the bee apiary.
- Corner Views: two tables seat 12 – 16 people near the corner of the wooden fencing overlooking the beachfront, on the grassy area east of Hempstead House, with afternoon shade.
- Checker Board: one table seats 6 – 8 people to the left of Hempstead House when facing the front of the mansion.
Restrooms are located in the Castle Gould’s Black Box.
Rules & Guidelines for Picnics
The following rules are strictly enforced:
- Maximum number of guests is 50.
- Guest list with last names in alphabetical order must be provided to the Gatehouse staff prior to the Event.
- Picnic tables cannot be moved.
- Drop off parties are not permitted – parents must stay with and be responsible for their children at all times.
- Entertainment of any kind must be preapproved by the Conservancy.
- Acoustic music may be permitted, with Conservancy approval; electronic or amplified music is not permitted.
- Sports/athletic activities of any kind are not permitted.
- Vendors who run parties and/or sports activities are not permitted.
- Climbing structures, bouncy inflatables, etc., are not permitted.
- Cooking and barbecuing is not permitted.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
- Fires are not permitted.
- Balloon releases, confetti, rice, etc. are not permitted.
- Fireworks and sparklers are not permitted.
- Site must be left clean. Trash receptacles/recycle bins on the grounds and the dumpster behind Castle Gould are available.
- Permittee and Guests must leave the property before closing time.
- Permittee and Guests must follow instructions from Conservancy staff and security.
- All Sands Point Preserve rules for visitors apply.
- Prepared food may be brought in or delivered; gatehouse staff must be notified in advance of the name of the vendor or delivery company and the time of delivery.
- Additional tables, chairs, and small tents (maximum 10’ x10’) may be brought in immediately prior to picnic and must be removed immediately following picnic.
- Restrooms located in Castle Gould’s Black Box and Welcome Center are available for Permittee and Guests.
- There is no access to water at the picnic areas, so Permittee should provide water, as needed.