The Preserve’s historic mansions and waterfront grounds are the backdrop for this unique chamber music series, created by Series Artistic Director Kathryn Lockwood.
Each concert features music and poetry, inspired by the time of year and themes of romance and resilience. Internationally renowned musicians present captivating performances with repertoire ranging from Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart to today’s culturally diverse composers.
During the pandemic, the concerts are recorded in Hempstead House, then premiere on YouTube for everyone to enjoy.
YouTube Premiere on Saturday, May 8 at 8:15 pm
Deborah Buck, Violin
Min-Young Kim, Violin
Kathryn Lockwood, Viola
Raman Ramakrishnan, Cello
Yousif Sheronick, Percussion
As the Spring season warms and the earth greens and blooms, we celebrate the renewal of life that nourishes our souls. Works by Bach, Beethoven, Schumann, Dvorak, Lena Auerbach, Giovanni Sollima, Kenji Bunch, Glen Velez, and Gyrgy Ligeti comprise the Spring 2021 concert, created by series Artistic Director Kathryn Lockwood. Through this eclectic program, we reflect on the past year in which we lived in isolation to survive the pandemic. Now, we take a moment to appreciate all that we have endured – to find new directions in our renewed lives.
In honor of Mother’s Day on May 9, Kathryn programmed works that honor mothers: Bach’s solo works written right after his first wife Maria Barbara died – she bore him seven children; a gorgeous slow movement of Schumann’s string quartet written right after his wife and love of his life Clara gave birth to their first of eight children; and the popular “Songs My Mother Taught Me” by Dvorak. Originally a song and later transcribed by Fritz Kreisler for violin solo based on the poem of the same name by Czech poet Adolf Heyduk:
Songs My Mother Taught Me
Songs my mother taught me, In the days long vanished;
Seldom from her eyelids were the teardrops banished.
Now I teach my children, each melodious measure.
Oft the tears are flowing, oft they flow from my memory’s treasure.
- Violin Partita No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: I. Allemande, II. Corrente by J.S. Bach (1685-1750)
- Homage for Frame Drums and Viola by Glen Velez (b. 1949)
- String Quartet in B-flat major, Op. 130 III. Andante con moto ma non troppo by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
- Sonata for Solo Cello: II. Capriccio – Presto con slancio by György Ligeti (1923-2006)
- String Quartet in A Minor, Op. 41 No. 1 III. Adagio by Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
- Until Next Time for solo viola by Kenji Bunch (b. 1973)
- Par.ti.ta for Solo Violin 1. Adagio-Libero (Preludio), 3. Andantino, 4. Serioso by Lera Auerbach (b. 1973)
- Songs My Mother Taught Me arr. string quartet by Antonin Dvorák (1841-1904) Arrangement by Jason Slayden
- Waves for string quartet and percussion by Giovanni Sollima (b. 1962)
Kathryn Lockwood & Yousif Sheronick of duoJalal
- Spring Renewal
May 8, 2021
8:15 pm - 9:15 pm